Tips for successful proximal restorations:
1. Isolate: Choose super clamp over rubber dam for single tooth or two adjacent teeth.
2. Pre wedging: prevents iatrogenic damage of adjacent tooth and also opens the contact for easy placement of matrix band.
3. Sectional matrices vs Traditional tofflemire matrices:
Traditional matrices gives us sharp straight walls and open the interproximal contacts but Sectional matrices give more anatomical curvy line angles and tighter inter proximal contacts
Dentx Academy Education series:
Dental amalgam is a dental filling material used to fill cavities caused by tooth decay. It has been used for more than 150 years in hundreds of millions of patients around the world.
Dental amalgam is a mixture of metals, consisting of liquid (elemental) mercury and a powdered alloy composed of silver, tin, and copper.
Advantages of Amalgam over composites:
1. Amalgam is Independent of salivary contamination.
2. Amalgam does not have Polymerisation shrinkage.
3. It does not allow much of plaque growth.
4. If a class II preparation extends beyond CEJ or isolation is completely difficult, Amalgam is best choice of restoration.
Must have Instruments for Carving after Amalgam restoration:
1. Condensor and plugger ( smooth and serrated)
2. Interproximal condensor( for condensing amalgam into interproximal areas
3. Liner appliclator for placing the base before amalgam
a. Foot ball burnisher to smoothen the filling after condensation
b. T Ball burnisher : condensing the filling; contouring matrix band
c. Beavertail Burnisher: for Initial carving
d. Hollenback carver: for fine carving and excess amalgam removal.
But why do we choose composites over Amalgam:
1. It promotes minimal invasion of tooth structure, Unlike Amalgam which needs more area of tooth structure.
2. Tooth coloured and many shades have come now, so material gives a very close to natural appearance of teeth.
3. Bonds well to the tooth structure
4. More conservative
5. Can repair chipped, broken or worn teeth
6. Repairable- can just add to composite if chipping occurs around the composite
7. No mercury controversy
8. No corrosion